Sunday, December 8, 2013

1976 All-Star Steve Garvey

1976 Topps #150

What's so special about this 1976 Topps Steve Garvey you ask? Well, unfortunately it is the oldest card I have in my possession. Yes, a card from 1976 is the oldest piece of cardboard I own. I am not a huge collector of the old stuff, though not because I don't like it. There are actually two reasons my collection doesn't go farther back than '76. First, older cards tend to cost slightly more than I have the budget for. Secondly, I was only born in 1993 and the older cards have never have never been as easy to obtain as the newer stuff has. Yet, after viewing a number of great blogs I find myself coveting some older cardboard.

I got into collecting after going through some of my dad's old boxes full of junk wax from the late 80's and early 90's. After spending days at a time looking through some of that old stuff, I decided I should start my own collection. I did not know very much about the hobby and started out by clearing out every target in my area of 2012 Topps Series 2. I probably bought about 150 packs in about a month, and never pulled anything of value. I went in to my LCS down the street from my old house and found out about this great hobby. 

My interests have shifted back in forth between the Dodgers of today (Kershaw, Kemp), the stars from my childhood (Beltre, Green, Nomo, Gagne), and the legends throughout the years (Robisnson, Koufax, Drysdale, Wills). It has been a great ride so far, and I have discovered so many interesting things reading through blogs alone. I appreciate the dedication some of you have towards this great hobby, and I can only hope to have collections as great as yours someday.  That collection starts with this gorgeous Steve Garvey, 1974 NL MVP.



No comments:

Post a Comment