Monday, July 13, 2020

Making Progress

It's goal-setting season at work. Time to sit down, evaluate my performace, and check off the boxes to say I'm on my way to accomplishing my goals for 2020.  

Except I'm not doing that.

When I say it's goal-setting season, I actually mean it's time to revisit the goals I was supposed to have made at the beginning of the year. 

I didn't do that either. 

Now before you assume I'm a bad employee, I should mention that I'm actually exempt from setting goals in my role. Most everyone in the company sets goals, but the sales team doesn't have to jump through these hoops. Our goals are numbers based and assigned to us late in Q1. I don't have a say in what my goals actually are. 



Things are a bit different over here in the collecting world. 

I set goals for myself. I have the freedom to adjust them throughout the year or completely drop them if I wish. If I don't meet my goals, I won't be fired or disciplined. Heck, I can have the same goal year after year. It doesn't matter. 

To put it succinctly, my collecting goals are arbitrary. 

And heading into this year, I really only had one goal: make progress on my Dodgers team sets for Topps Flagship. 

And thanks to many of you, I've accomplished that.



Greg over at The Collective Mind recently sent over a handful of Dodgers from various sets, including the 1983 and 1978 cards you see above. Don't be fooled by the scan on these '78s, Greg didn't cut off bottom part of these cards--that was the work of my auto-scanner. The full cards are resting nicely in their binder, and I didn't feel the need to scan them again. 

With these additions, my 1978 set is now 79% complete (23/29) and the 1983 set is now at 66% (21/32). Definitely making progress.



Perhaps the best cards in this package were actually a pair from 2014 Update: Clayton Kershaw and Chone Figgins. Both of these cards were on my Most Wanted list on the sidebar and now that they're in hand, I can officially say the 2014 set is complete.

It's just the sixth team set completed to date, but I'm making progress. 



Bo over at Baseball Cards Come to Life! also dropped some more Dodgers on me recently via PWE. He's made a dent in several of my checklists over the last several weeks, this time targeting 1981 and 1984. 


My progress on both of these sets trails the average for the decade (72% of the 80s completed), as 1981 sits at 56% (18/32) while 1984 checks in a bit higher at 68% (21/31). I've yet to complete my first set from the '80s, though I imagine that will happen at some point this year. 

I'm not exactly sure where I started the year, but I'm currently at 51% total for all Dodgers team sets. I was around 47% just a couple of months ago, so it is nice being over the halfway marker now. Still, with only six of the sets complete there is more work to be done. 

So don't mind me if I continue to have the same goal year in and year out. There's always progress to be made. 

4 comments:

  1. Every year I teach a unit on goal setting... and it's cool to see some of my students take it seriously and work on their goal during the tenure in middle school. The principal I had the past two years was big on setting personal and professional goals... which was kinda cool. I used to set hobby goals too, but I stopped a few years ago because I never really focused on them after the first few weeks. Now I just collect the way I want to collect and collect by the seat of my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like them! I've got another PWE I'll be mailing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to have short term hobby goals and long term hobby goals. Always on the lookout for Ryan Howard stuff number 1 and was able to add a nice piece yesterday that I should get this week. Also, started a mini side collection of Koufax that when I complete it I will post it up but I want to do it all at once cause I think it'll look awesome.

    As far as work goals. I have to write my own goals and accomplishments and then for 4 other people I get to say how they are doing tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've failed horribly every time I've tried to set hobby goals for myself, so I don't really do that anymore. Though I envy people that can and do.

    ReplyDelete