Monday, April 20, 2020

Fashionably Late to 2020 Flagship


I'm way behind on posting, so much so that this is my first post of 2020--Happy New Year? 

Last July we got a sneak peek at the 2020 design, and I wasn't a fan. I still don't think it's a great design overall, but my stance has seemingly softened with repeated exposure. Great photos can salvage a bad set design. See Exhibit A above. Gotta love celebration photos. This pic comes from one of the Dodgers eleventy-hundred walkoffs in 2020. 

Series One primarily features the core of the Dodgers. Sluggers like Cody Bellinger and Max Muncy... 


...along with long-time hurlers like Clayton Kershaw and Kenley Jansen get their dues in the set. 


And then there's Tyler White. Dude hit .045 last year for the Dodgers and was not destined for the team in 2020. Not sure why he was in the set over someone like Will Smith, but someone like this always finds their way into the set. 


Justin Turner has been one of my favorite players since he broke into the league back in 2009. I've always rooted for my fellow redheads, and Turner has been the face of gingers for last several years--not to mention one of the best players in Los Angeles.


But Turner has some stiff competition in the hair department this season (if there is a season) with the arrival of the Dodgers' most recent uber-prospect--Dustin May. Just look at those locks. He may also have the best nickname on the team: Gingergaard. 


Over on the hitting side, the Dodgers' other top prospect also gets his first card in Flagship. I've got a feeling this will be one of the more valuable cards from this set in a few years. 


Despite the set including cards of the 2019 NL MVP, a future Hall-of-Famer, and a pair of top prospects, my favorite card has got to be of super-utlity man Enrique Hernandez. I mean, look at that extension.


I've been slowly chugging away at picking up Dodgers from flagship sets, but this is actually the first time I've just purchased the team set on eBay. With a $5 dollar coupon, I managed to snag all 17 cards from S1 for just a couple of bucks. I already have more cards from the 2020 set than I do for all of 2019, but I really need to get a move on finishing up some of these sets. 2012 is the only year I've completely finished to this point.

(P.S. I've moved...again. If you're planning on sending me anything or just want to have my new address on hand, let me know. ) 

2 comments:

  1. The 2020 design is fine with me but the photography is fantastic which makes this set a winner in my book. Justin Turner is one of my favorites too. Him and his wife give so much to the community here in SoCal. At one game I attended a few years ago, they showed a little interview with him where he revealed he does not have any tattoos--I love that! (Because I have no tats either.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hernandez is easily one of my favorite cards of the year so far.

    ReplyDelete