Friday, March 8, 2019

Where are all of the Jeopardy cards?

Earlier this week, longtime Jeopardy host Alex Trebek announced he has been diagnosed with Stage-IV Pancreatic cancer. This is terrible news for anyone, but it was especially difficult to see this terrible cancer take hold of one of the last great voices on television. Trebek appeared to have an optimistic take on his outlook, even cracking a zinger about his contract, though long-time fans are less so. I, like so many others, are hoping Trebek can find a way to pull through.

I've been a fan of Jeopardy for a long time. I used to watch the show as I was growing up, and I continue to watch it frequently now as an adult. I've long been a trivia aficionado, albeit maybe a too nerdy about it, as I keep track of my own Jeopardy stats as I play along. I've always dreamt about making it on the show--a longshot dream if there ever was one, but a dream nonetheless. 

Trebek's announcement led to a bit of reflection, but it also led me to think about Jeopardy on cardboard. I figured Alex Trebek has to have a card out there somewhere, right?

Well, no. At least not that I can find. And despite the cultural behemoth Jeopardy has become (countless SNL parodies, a Weird Al song, hell, even the Simpsons did it), there simply aren't that many Jeopardy-related cards. 

In fact, I only managed to track down three Jeopardy related cards--and none of them feature the mustachioed Canadian.


2007 Allen and Ginter #319 Ken Jennings




2013 Topps Heritage News Flashback #NF-J





2018 Topps #161 Austin Rogers



None of these cards are currently in my collection, but I'd like to change that. I was hoping to start a mini-collection of Jeopardy related cards, but there may not be enough out there to sufficiently call it a mini-collection. Some more research is in my future, and I hope to unearth some more. If you know of any, please do let me know. 

In the meantime, I've decided to add these three cards (and a few others) to what I am calling the Chavez Seven, or in other words, cards I'm chasing. You can find this list in the sidebar or on my newly updated Want List and Mini Collections page. Oh, and below. Any readers have any of the cards below and want to trade? 


  1. 2007 Allen and Ginter #319 Ken Jennings
  2. 2013 Topps Heritage News Flashback #NF-J
  3. 2018 Topps #161 Austin Rogers
  4. 2010 Bowman Chrome #BDP105 Justin Turner RC
  5. 2010 Upper Deck #39 Justin Turner RC
  6. 2014 Topps Update Series US-223 Yasiel Puig
  7. 2013 Topps Series One #263 Ted Lilly

2 comments:

  1. I just picked up the Austin Rogers... I'm not much for A&G, but I had to have that one. FYI, there's also an autographed version.

    According to Trading Card DB, There's a Trebek/Jennings cut auto card in 2011 Topps American Pie, and a cut auto of just Alex in 2014 Topps Archives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I checked those out, but it looks like they are both #'d 1/1. Might be a bit tough! hahaha

      Delete