Sunday, January 12, 2014

It's Raining Dodgers

It has been a long week. I feel like I've sort of abandoned the blog this week, though I did manage to scrap together a few posts. School starts next week so I need to get back on track with daily posts. 

I did manage to pick up some awesome cards from my LCS again this week. I always take in my Yankee base cards in exchange for free Dodgers cards or supplies. The owner is a great guy and he gave me some awesome stuff this time around.

Before I dive into the cards, please check out my secondary player collections in the sidebar. I have recently been deciding on a few more players to collect that don't call Los Angeles home. I have finalized those players, and now I am on a mission to gather up their cards. If you have anything from those players I would be glad to take it off your hands. Just shoot me an email and hopefully we can work something out. 


I'll start out with a card from Scott Van Sly......err....Chris Withrow. Albeit, a mustache-less Withrow. I'm sure there is a Ron Swanson/mustache line I can throw in here, but I am just to tired to think of anything clever. This happens to be the refractor version of the card, meaning it is #'d 382/999. I have a shocking lack of Withrow cards, this being only my second, something that needs to be fixed in the immediate future. I'm thinking an auto may be next. 


Another Sandy Dandy, for him and me. I know I have this card already, but I think it is in the 2013 Heritage set I am still trying to put together. I don't know if the number 32 is intentionally blue, as I am obviously not old enough to have ever seen the lefty pitch. It seems like it may be an oversight by Topps, but what do I know. 


Moving on to one of my favorite Dodgers, Chad Billingsley. The overly criticized righty may soon be pushed out of Los Angeles if the Dodgers wind up with Tanaka. The Dodgers are loaded up with arms, and that is before you account for Billingsley and the young studs in the minors. I hope he sticks around for a while so I'll be able to pick up some more of his cardboard.


My favorite, yet still not resigned Dominican, Hanley Ramirez. I cannot fathom where the Dodgers would be without him. If the Ned Colletti and company are smart, he will be about $100 million dollars richer come Spring Training. I love the card on the right, though not because of the actual design of the card. I really like the shirt Hanley is wearing, and I  love when players are smiling as big as he is. 



Another A-Gon card, though in Padres gear this time. 2010 Topps Chrome is the warpiest (is that even a word?) set of cards I have ever laid my hands on.I have a few more to show in this post, so more on that later. 


The final Dodger/Secondary PC card of this post belongs to Andre Either. I think Andre looks especially good in the Dodgers uni. I honestly cannot envision him in another teams colors. The orange border contrasts nicely with the card which is #'d 153/250. I may chase all the orange borders from this set, though I really hate chasing orange cards. I do my best trying to ignore the Giants here in Fresno, and the orange cards don't make it any easier. 


I talked the owner of the LCS into handing this card over. He can sell Ryu's for a pretty good price in town, but I told him I have a few dupes I can bring his way. I love getting my hands on Hyun-Jin's Ryu-kie cards, and the numbering is an added bonus. I plan on acquiring every rookie card Ryu has out there, so if you have one that isn't listed in my Ryu PC, let me know. I will make it worth your while if you do.


I always love it when I can add more cards to my Kershaw PC with spending a penny. In this case, I added both the 2010 and 2011 Bowman Platinum Kershaw's to my PC. I like the design of the left one a slightly more. The one on the right doesn't have a huge difference between the 2012 and 2013 versions of Bowman Platinum, both sets that I am not too big on. 


Another Kershaw, another warped card from 2010 Topps Chrome. You can see the obvious darkness on the top of the card, all due to the warping. It is a shame these cards are warped, though it seems like Topps has fixed the problem in recent years. 



Some more warped cards from 2010 Topps products. Another from Chrome and one from Topps 206. The 206 is an absolute beauty of a card. In fact it is my favorite card of the Bison so far, excluding the autos. This happens to be the refractor parallel #'d 116/499. I know there is a blue parallel of this card, but I can't seem to find any other parallels. I don't know if this is because I am half asleep writing this, or my research skills are simply lacking. Either way I will make it a point to add more of these beauties to my collection. 

Another successful trip to my LCS landed me some great cards. They merely cost me some lowly Yankee bases, so I am more than thrilled. If you have any Yankee's laying around I'd love to work them into a trade. I will probably be making many trips to the LCS with Yankees in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment