Friday, July 27, 2018

Third Time's the Charm: A Return to Bloggerland

I have really made a habit of "return" posts, now haven't I? After putting blogging and collecting to the side a few years back, I've made a number of short-lived returns to blogging. First, it was to talk about 2015 Stadium Club, a beautiful set that featured Adam Dunn's sunset card (with the A's no less!). Two years later I came back to announce the new plans for my blog: a digital revolution. The plan at that point was to focus on digital cards from Topps Bunt, an app I used religiously for months before finally coming to my senses, and to produce my own digital cards through Photoshop magic. Well, my computer promptly gave out after that, I lost my old version of Photoshop, and I've never been able to get back to making them.

Amidst all of this, of course, I moved across the country, finished college, got a full-time job, and moved to Brooklyn (about 60 years too late for this Dodgers fan). While my absence was largely due to my inability to collect or produce my own digital cards, these important things also got in the way.

Well, I seem to have run out of excuses for blogging, and I can happily say I am returning.

No, really! I mean it this time!

Look, I have real, physical cards! From a 2018 Bowman Mega Box!



I've been following the blogs and collectors on Twitter during my absence, and I noticed a huge demand for these boxes. I was lucky to find a box at my "local" target (though it's local, it takes me about an hour to get to because of the subway, which is just gross). I guess the demand had to do with autos of future superstars Shohei Ohtani and Ronald Acuna Jr., but there are tons of other excellent young players in this set. I managed to pull these sweet x-fractor cards of Gleyber Torres and Walker Buehler, who both have excellent chances to reign in Rookie of the Year awards this season. 

I also purchased some flagship a few months back, and while I'm not a big fan of the design--bring back borders!--I managed to snag this sweet Aaron Nola SP. 



Though I made some purchased this year, I really haven't had the chance to fully jump back into my collecting ways. For one, the entirety of my collection is still holed up in California. Secondly, cards are extremely difficult to find in NYC. I rarely have luck at Target when I do make the trek there, and I've yet to find a local hobby shop (any suggestions NYC people?).

Yet, I miss participating in this wonderful blogging community. I miss the thrill that comes with opening up a pack of cards. I miss this blog.

While I won't post as frequently as in the past (save my two failed comeback attempts), I hope to get at least one blog post out a week. Many of these will be card-focused, though many will also revolve around my thoughts on baseball and the Dodgers. The blog will undergo a few changes in the coming weeks, and I still hope to get Photoshop to make custom cards a reality. Regardless, I'm hoping the third time's the charm: I'm returning to bloggerland.



8 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing college! and the full-time job! and returning to blogging! and pulling the Torres/Buehler! I guess just...congrats on everything! So glad to see you back and posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back my dodger in the background guy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Gleyber! Glad to hear all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On nice weekdays check out the street vendor on 37th and 6th in midtown. He's leaving mid-August to bike down to Arizona, but he'll be back late October, I think. If you're still going to Hofstra there are some decent card shops nearby, but also check out the Tri County flea market in Levittown. I don't know what's in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Thanks for the tips! I'll try to check out the vendor next week.

      Delete