Friday, October 24, 2014

State of the Blog: Water and Cards Don't Mix + Other Odds and Ends

I have been pretty darn busy with school and work which has hindered my ability to consistently post here. I still get the occasional custom post out, but those are becoming a little harder to stay on top off. I am chalking that up to the middle of the semester blues, something I seem to go through every semester. I am doing fairly well in my classes, though Calculus is a pain in the butt. I'm glad that I'll be done with math after the end of the semester.

Anyway. I have always had this irrational fear that I would spill water on and/or destroy someone's cards right before I sent them out to that person. After nearly a year of posting here on the blog, that fear never materialized. That is, until I spilled a large cup of water over on my card desk a few nights ago. I managed to wipe out over half of my Chad Billingsley collection, a ton of Topps Chrome cards of the Braves I was planning on sending out to a certain blogger, I ton of Washington Nationals cards from the break that were just sitting around, and a few other various cards I had sitting out on the desk.

It seems that my cards took a brunt of the hit. That Chad Billingsley post I was planning on doing for way too long will never fully unfold. At least it was the base cards that took the hit. My autos/relics were luckily saved by their top loaders. The Chrome cards seem to be warping a bit, and the backs are starting to peel. For the most part, nothing of real value was lost, but it is still frustrating to lose cards in general.

RIP
That sucked, but it allowed me to make time to organize my cards and think about what I plan on doing with a ton of them.

As I mentioned a few times over the past couple of months, I am trying to downsize my collection. I enjoy collecting, but it will have to take a backseat to some of the other things going on in my life.

I will attempt to sell most of my cards pretty soon. There will be a detailed post with everything I am selling. I don't plan on trying to turn a profit, but a small amount to cover shipping and supplies is probably what I am thinking. Stay tuned if you are interested in picking up some cards for cheap.

On another note, Halloween right around the corner. Has anybody out there ever seen a costume based on cards at all? I was discussing different Halloween costumes with my coordinator at work today and we were coming up with some cool ideas, but it made me think about the card community. I could see someone making a Topps card costume pretty easily. Google proved me right.

Not Me


No comments:

Post a Comment